Anorectal Malformation or Imperforate Anus
An imperforate anus or anorectal malformations (ARMs) are birth defects involving anus and rectum. It includes spectrum of anamolies, viz:
- Imperforate anus: The absence of an anal opening.
- The anus opening in the wrong place.
- Recto-vescical fistula: A connection, or fistula, between the intestine and urinary system.
- Recto-vaginal fistula: A connection joining the intestine and vagina.
- Cloaca: In females, the intestine ,the urinary system and vagina open in a single opening.